4/08/2005

Employment Discrimination

Finding a summer job in Suburb-Esqe Baguio City is very tiring.

Seriously, tiring, exasperating and aggravating. It seems that the jobs posted on todays brick and mortar shops favor a female to take the post. Do people think that guys just galavant, drink and go chick watching as a summer hobby?

Aside from the cliched description of the college undergrad during spring break, some of us want some cash... hard earned and most of the time legal cash. We want to work too. Being labelled a bum due to the discrimination of the males during job seeking makes me want to tear my hair out... not just my head hair mind you.

Take an example, I saw an ad for an Internet Conversationalist. (Yeah, a poor excuse for Professional Chatter). I assume its for every Jack and Jill since it didn't say any gender exclusion. I tried to apply, but the fat guff behind the counter said "it be for the ladies only".

It should really say that on the sign. Same thing for the next store I saw that offered summer jobs. And the next. It goes on like this for ever until I saw a Help Wanted sign. I asked for any job for us guys... Heavy lifting and truck driving.

We guys are being slowly typecasted as burly apes fit only for menial labor and the occasional janitorial service. Typecasted in an eventually feministic society. We all strive for equality and the eradication of stereotyping, but girls, this is just too much. Next thing you know, undergarments have to be made of silk... or something.

I'm for women's equality, but come on! We have to stop this gender discrimination in the employment/unemployment line. There are some guys want to be salesguys and professional sewers as there are some ladies that want to drive trucks and lift weights for a living.

But I draw the line at coed showerstalls and bathrooms.

0 Prayers and Chants:

Post a Comment

<< Entrance